Many killed as gunmen invade a Zamfara mosque
At least 11 people have been feared killed after gunmen attacked a Mosque in Ruwan Jema community in Bukkuyum Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
A resident of the area, Salisu Ibrahim told Channels Television that the terrorists invaded the community at about 1:50 pm on Friday September 23, and went straight to the community’s central mosque where people had already gathered for prayer.
They then opened fire on the worshippers, killing 11 persons while several others were injured.
They also ransacked the community and are believed to have killed other residents but the numbers have yet to be ascertained.
“The total number of people killed is not yet certain, except the 11 people killed inside the mosque.”
Though those who survived the incident felt 15 people were killed, it turned out that four of the 15 were unconscious and not dead.
As at 7 pm on Saturday September 24, the 11 people confirmed killed had been buried.
Another resident of Bukkuyum, Abdullahi Mohammed, said the attack was suspected to be a reprisal by the terrorists as the community’s local vigilante popularly called Yan Sakai reportedly killed two of the terrorists earlier.
Police Public Relations Officer of the Zamfara Command, SP Mohammed Shehu, confirmed the attack but said details about the number of people killed and injured were not certain.
“The report about the attack on Ruwan Jema Village in Bukkuyum LGA is very sketchy at the moment due to the poor road and communication networks caused by the remote Nature of the area.
“However, the Police Tactical team led by the DPO (Divisional Police Officer) Bukkuyum/vigilante men were immediately mobilised and deployed to the village, for an on-the-spot assessment.”