Ronaldo’s replacement holding out for Manchester United transfer – De Jong
John de Jong, a former PSV Eindhoven technical director, has revealed that forward Cody Gakpo is holding out for a move to Manchester United.
Gakpo has been linked with a move to Manchester United since the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo from the Premier League giants.
The 23-year-old is Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag’s preferred forward to replace Ronaldo at Old Trafford in the upcoming January transfer window has been revealed.
The Netherlands international has been impressive for both club and country so far this season.
Gakpo was close to joining Manchester United’s Premier League rival Leeds United in the summer transfer window, but he opted not to board a private flight on deadline day and remained in PSV.
Speaking on Gakpo’s possible transfer to Man United, De Jong said the player is prioritising a move to Ten Hag’s side.
“Cody has been waiting a long time for the transfer to Manchester United and it seemed to be coming,” De Jong told NOS on Sunday.
“A week before the end of the transfer window that fell through. After that, he had two options in the Premier League, but you never know how that will turn out.
“I think it is very nice how he’s developing. He continues the line he started at PSV this season.
“He is very effective and decisive. Also, at the World Cup. I really enjoy watching it.