Monday, January 17

Tag: Unjustifiable

Twitter Ban: FG has no Right to Regulate Freedom of Opinion – Minority Reps
News

Twitter Ban: FG has no Right to Regulate Freedom of Opinion – Minority Reps

Minority Caucus in the House of Representatives has accused the federal government of having an appetite to ‘suppress’ constitutionally guaranteed rights of citizens in Nigeria, following its recent “declaration” of lifting the ban on the use of Twitter in the country. The caucus, in a statement released on Friday January 14 by its Leader, Ndudi Elumelu, stated the the constitution guarantees freedom of speech and opinion by Nigerians, including expressing such through social media tools like Twitter. The lawmaker stated that this freedom of opinion should not be subjected to partisan approval or regulation under a democratic rule. The statement read; “That is why at the wake of the ban on the use of Twitter in Nigeria in June 2021, the Minority Caucus in the House of Represe...
Your claim of Releasing N52.12bn to us is Deceptive – ASUU slams FG
News

Your claim of Releasing N52.12bn to us is Deceptive – ASUU slams FG

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has countered Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige's claim of the union being given N52.12billion. Kano Zonal Coordinator of the union, Comrade Abdulkadir Muhammad described the claim as “deceptive, misleading and aimed at smearing the image of our Union and members in the public eye”, adding that only N22.17 billion was released as Earned Academic Allowance (EAA) out of which only 75% (N16.6bn) was released to members of the union while the remaining 25% was for other sister unions. Noting that the union is not happy with the government’s effort to trivialise its campaign and make it look as if it was all about money, Muhammad asked the Minister "to always put issues in proper perspective and desist from playing dicey pol...
Businessman Drags Police Officer to Court for Torturing him
News

Businessman Drags Police Officer to Court for Torturing him

A businessman has dragged a police officer who allegedly slept with his wife to court. Clement Asuquo Etim initially narrated how he was allegedly tortured and framed up by a senior policeman, CSP Celestine Umeh after he caught him in bed with his wife Lawrentia Asuquo Etim . Mr Etim has now filed N200m fundamental rights enforcement lawsuit against the Nigeria Police Force for arresting, torturing, and framing him and two eyewitnesses on trumped-up charges, according to Sahara Reporters. The aggrieved husband joined in the suit the Commissioner of Police in Akwa Ibom State, the Officer-in-Charge of General Investigation at the State CID, SP Ekene Nwosu, and a Chief Superintendent of Police, Umeh. In a 46-page court document seen by SaharaReporters, Etim stated that Umeh vi...
People Talk: On FG school feeding programme during lockdown
News

People Talk: On FG school feeding programme during lockdown

To be candid, the whole idea behind the School Feeding Programme is commendable, and the fact that it targets the children makes it lovely one. “However, I really do not think that’s what Federal Government should be prioritizing at present.” -Oladotun Roy, Consultant “The school feeding programme has been a scam scheme from day one. It was never done transparently and the few children fed were fed like animals. “For the feeding of children at home, we all know this is another dimension of corruption by the federal government since many of the children cannot be located.” -Oni Ayoyinka, Facility Manager “The minister for Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Farouq, could be likened to Diezani Maduekwe. The school feeding programme she is piloting is a monumental fraud, a misplaced prio...

Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/gqbzggmy/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5107