Two students of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, have been found dead in a room at a private hostel.
It was gathered that bodies of the students were discovered on Sunday, February 20, after Room One of the hostel, located at the Williamâ€™s Lodge, was forced open following a report to the police by parents of the deceased.
According to a source, who spoke to Punch
Â , the two students, a male, and a female, might have died some days ago, due to the level of decay on their corpses.
The parents of the dead female, identified as Adaeze, had been calling her phone line for some days without any response.
The source said when several calls were not responded to, the parents, in the process, became bothered and reported to the Police.
The parents in company with the security operatives stormed the hostel to check on her, but they met her door tightly locked.
On forcing the door open, they found the two students lying dead in the room.
Spokesperson of the State Police Command, DSP Ikenga Tochukwu, who confirmed the incident said the student died from carbon monoxide poisoning from generator fumes but the result of an autopsy will confirm the cause of death.
"There was no stench. The girl was not answering calls which got parents worried. They reported to the Police who forced the door open. No mark of violence on the bodies," he stated.
"They died apparently from carbon monoxide poisoning from generator fumes. The generator was found in a closed place facing the room. The cause of death will be ascertained after autopsy."